Saturday, May 22, 2010

Butter and...Drum Roll Please... Chocolate

I think I may have created something profound. At least my taste buds told me so. Something subtly sweet. A drop of stevia, if that, a nub of butter, and some decadent dark chocolate. This creation, folks, is what I call Chocolate Butter. If there were two things I had to have in my kitchen it would be A. Amish churned butter and B. Dark chocolate. With these two simple yet delicious ingredients, the kitchen is fully equipped. I don't know where the Amish got their mad butter churning skills, but let me tell you, this butter is unlike anything you will find in the store. Its not packaged in rectangular bricks, it doesn't have fancy packaging, and Mrs. Land-O-Lakes isn't gracing the cover, but it does have a taste that out does any European cream I have ever tasted. Combine that with some Lindt dark chocolate and you got yourself a nice spread that's creamier than Nutella. You could even add a slight drop of stevia or some sugar, as I did, for a slightly sweeter taste. Some peanut butter and sliced bananas would be good too.


So how did this Chocolate Butter come to mind you may ask? Today was cake day. Yes, I am making the cakes for my own graduation. High school that is. I've been told you shouldn't have to make your own cake for your own celebration, but I couldn't resist. People have fallen in love with this special cake that is so easy and irresistable . I have made this cake several times, and I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to make it again. So, a nice Saturday afternoon was spent in the kitchen making a heaping amount of cake batter(to serve 50) made up of butter (Amish Butter that is), dark chocolate, eggs, sugar, and flour. That's it. Five simple ingredients. I have Molly Wizenberg to thank for that. This cake is called none other than The Winning Hearts and Minds Cake. And yes, it does win hearts, and minds. You just wait and see.

So, back to the the Chocolate Butter creation. As I was mixing the creamy Amish style butter and the dark chocolate, some of the mixture made its way out of the glass bowl and onto the kitchen table. It sat there lonely and left out and hung out long enough to harden ever so slightly. This is when the bright idea of Chocolate butter surpassed my mind. I scooped the lonely drippings into a bowl and added a slight drop of stevia. Into the freezer it went to harden a bit more.

Some french toast was remnant on the stove from this morning's breakfast. When these two objects came into contact it was like love at first sight. (Cliche I know) Crusty thick french toast with a wad of silky chocolate butter. It couldn't be a happier marriage. The perfect afternoon snack was invented. I believe it was meant to be. Like peas and carrots. Or better yet, bread and butter. Except add some french toast batter and chocolate. If you have some leftover French toast on hand and some good butter and chocolate, I encourage you to try it out. You may just like it.


Chocolate Butter

Lindt Dark Chocolate (or other good quality dark chocolate) about 1 ounce or so.
2 to 3 tablespoons of of butter
A bit of sugar to taste
Left over French toast

Melt the butter, chocolate, and sugar in a microwave safe bowl or double boiler. Put in fridge or freezer until it comes to a spreadable consistancy. Spread on toasted or cold french toast (I toasted it slightly until it was warm.)

Double or triple recipe as you wish.

Serves one to two.

Note: Use a good quality butter such as European style butter or Amish churned butter. I got my butter from my local cheese shoppe.

Benefits of Amish Butter

  • Made from cows milk without artificial hormones
  • Does not have any artificial ingredients or preservatives
  • Holds well in the refrigerator and even better in the freezer
  • Free from potentially dangerous pesticides and antiobiotics
  • According to the Pesticide Action Network of North America, nonorganic butter was ranked #1 as the food most contaminated with pollutants.
  • Nonorganic butter contains POPs which are toxic chemicals that stay in the environment and our bodies for up to decades.

All the more reason to indulge in Amish butter! Bon Appetit.






1 comment:

  1. Great idea Molly! It will be fun to follow your blog and to see/hear about your kitchen creations. Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete